Books by Dale Harris

Books by Dale Harris
A Feast of Epiphanies

Though I Walk, A Novel

Daytime Moons and Other Celestial Anomalies, a book of poems

Second Wind

Second Wind
An album of songs both old and new. Recorded in 2021, a year of major transition for me, these songs explore the many vicissitudes of the spiritual life,. It's about the mountaintop moments and the Holy Saturday sunrises, the doors He opens that no one can close, and those doors He's closed that will never open again. You can click the image above to give it a listen.

The Song Became a Child

The Song Became a Child
A collection of Christmas songs I wrote and recorded during the early days of the pandemic lockdown in the spring of 2020. Click the image to listen.

There's a Trick of the Light I'm Learning to Do

This is a collection of songs I wrote and recorded in January - March, 2020 while on sabbatical from ministry. They each deal with a different aspect or expression of the Gospel. Click on the image above to listen.

Three Hands Clapping

This is my latest recording project (released May 27, 2019). It is a double album of 22 songs, which very roughly track the story of my life... a sort of musical autobiography, so to speak. Click the album image to listen.

Ghost Notes

Ghost Notes
A collections of original songs I wrote in 2015, and recorded with the FreeWay Musical Collective. Click the album image to listen.

inversions

Recorded in 2014, these songs are sort of a chronicle of my journey through a pastoral burn-out last winter. They deal with themes of mental-health, spiritual burn-out and depression, but also with the inexorable presence of God in the midst of darkness. Click the album art to download.

soundings

soundings
click image to download
"soundings" is a collection of songs I recorded in September/October of 2013. Dealing with themes of hope, ache, trust and spiritual loss, the songs on this album express various facets of my journey with God.

bridges

bridges
Click to download.
"Bridges" is a collection of original songs I wrote in the summer of 2011, during a soul-searching trip I took out to Alberta; a sort of long twilight in the dark night of the soul. I share it here in hopes these musical reflections on my own spiritual journey might be an encouragement to others: the sun does rise, blood-red but beautiful.

echoes

echoes
Prayers, poems and songs (2005-2009). Click to download
"echoes" is a collection of songs I wrote during my time studying at Briercrest Seminary (2004-2009). It's called "echoes" partly because these songs are "echoes" of times spent with God from my songwriting past, but also because there are musical "echoes" of hymns, songs or poems sprinkled throughout the album. Listen closely and you'll hear them.

Accidentals

This collection of mostly blues/rock/folk inspired songs was recorded in the spring and summer of 2015. I call it "accidentals" because all of the songs on this project were tunes I have had kicking around in my notebooks for many years but had never found a "home" for on previous albums. You can click the image to download the whole album.

Three Minute Theology 1.7: And Speaking of the Incarnation



When I was in High School I spent three months studying French in the province of Quebec.  About two months in, we went skiing for a weekend. 

The following Monday, my legs were sore from all that exercise, so I when I came down for breakfast, I complained to my host family: “Mes jambons font mal!”

The room promptly erupted into laughter.  In French, the word “jambon” means “ham,” and the word “jambe” means “leg.”  I had meant to say, “My legs hurt,” but I had accidentally said, “My hams hurt!”

It was a humbling moment for me, one that reminded me of my limitations as an English speaker trying to learn French.   But it also provides us with a helpful way of thinking about the incarnation, and how Jesus could have been both fully God and fully human, two natures in one person.

After all, the supernatural signs and wonders he did notwithstanding, when that first century Jewish Holy Man walked this earth, the people who saw him and interacted with him saw and interacted with a human being.  A man unlike any man they had ever known before, but still, for all that, a man.

In what way was this man also God incarnate?

Theologians sometimes use the word kenosis to describe this paradox.  “Kenosis” is a Greek word that means “emptying,” and it comes from Philippians 2:7, where Paul says, “Jesus was in his very nature, God, but he did not see his equality with God as something to be exploited, rather, he ‘emptied himself’ ... being made in human likeness.”

The idea here is that in some sense, the Son of God necessarily “emptied himself” in some way related to his being God, when he became a human being.

But how?  If he emptied himself of his divine nature, wouldn’t he have ceased to be truly God?  In what way could we then say that he revealed God to us?

And here is where my sore hams come in. 

When I chose to travel to Quebec, I knew that this would mean having certain limitations placed on me, as an English speaker among French speakers. 

To be sure, there would be some overlap—in both English and French I would use vocalized sounds to communicate meaning, for instance; and throughout my time there, I could draw on my “nature” as an English speaker, to various degrees in various ways, depending on my circumstances. 

Sometimes I might even speak in English, revealing myself to be an Anglophone (although when I did, it’s unlikely my francophone friends would grasp my meaning).  But so long as I was required to speak French, there would be certain, unavoidable limitations on my ability to express myself and communicate.

At the same time, however, no matter how clunky my French might have been, I never ceased to be an English speaker, with sophisticated thoughts that I could fluently express in English.  It’s just that, in accepting the limitations of a “French nature” I was also choosing to set aside the use of my “English nature,” even though I still retained it and could have used it if I had wished.

So too with the incarnation: in taking on our human nature, the Son of God did not empty himself of his divinity; rather he willingly accepted the limitations of our human nature, choosing not to draw on his divine nature, except in keeping with the Father’s will and the Spirit’s leading. 

These limitations were real—he got hungry and tired and rested and ate—he grew and matured as a child.   He bled.

But that doesn’t mean he ceased to be fully God, rather, just like English and French “natures” can exist without contradiction in the same person, his human and divine natures were one in himself. 


And sometimes, of course, we actually see him speaking “English” to his francophone friends, so to speak: revealing his divine nature among them.  Like the disciples said it when they saw him walk out over the water to their wave-tossed boat: Surely this man is the Son of God.

0 comments: